A Reflexive & Positive Parenting Course for Children and Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum
A Reflexive & Positive Parenting Course for Parents/Guardians/Caregivers of Children and Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum
Cana Foundation is offering parenting courses based on positive parenting principles with the aim of improving and strengthening child-adult-family-community relationships for the wellness of all.
Our therapeutic work with clients informs us that parenting / child-care giving is an extremely rewarding yet demanding and unique experience requiring countless skills. Accordingly, parents / child-caregivers research information regularly to support their infinite care-giving needs in hopes of finding suitable solutions for their families and / or the children / adolescents they care for. We also notice, however, how caring and well-intentioned parents / child-caregivers often consult inaccurate sources and / or lack the know-how to apply findings to their unique circumstances. We therefore felt compelled to outline a theory-based parenting course to help parents / child-care givers access accurate child-rearing information and top-up their parenting tool box with additional positive discipline skills.
Positive discipline is built on the idea that children / adolescents are naturally hardwired to seek praise and acknowledgment as well as loving guidance, support and understanding from adults. By using positive discipline, adults can regenerate their relationships with children / adolescents and teach them to trust and value their choices while feeling good about whom they are in their environment instead of how to avoid punishment or succumb to peer pressure. When coupled with child-centred active support and positive behaviour support approaches, positive discipline helps parents / child-care givers of children on the Autism Spectrum enhance child-parent-family-community relationships and reduce behaviours of concern for an improved quality of life.
- Support participants to reflect about their parenting styles, skills and developmental journey with their children;
- Introduce participants to child-centred active support and positive behaviour support strategies;
- Educate participants with regard to positive discipline skills and techniques;
- Enable participants to tailor and apply new learning to their particular contexts and unique circumstances; and
- Encourage participants to strengthen adult to adult and child / adolescent to adult healthy relationships.
By the end of this course, participants will be capable to implement what they have learned into concrete action.
- For parents / child-care-givers of children and adolescents on the Autism Spectrum
- Six weekly sessions of two hours each
- Online platform
- €60.00 per course (including all course materials)
- Professionals delivering the course:
- Josnef Agius – Positive Parenting & Active Support Coach
- Catherine Smith – Counsellor
Overview of Course:
Session #1: Introduction and Initial Reflections
Session #2: Positive Discipline Skills & Discussion
Session #3: Positive Discipline Skills & Discussion
Session #4: Positive Discipline Skills & Discussion
Session #5: Positive Discipline Skills & Discussion
Session #6: Design an Implementation Plan
comments powered byDisqus